Sam Smoothy is from New Zealand and is already one of the biggest names in the Freeride circuit. He has been competing on the Freeride World Tour since 2011 and has claimed many podium spots since then including two victories in Chamonix 2012 and Fieberbrunn 2014, finishing fourth overall on the FWT 2012 and runner-up in 2014 and 3rd at Andorra in 2015. But Sam Smoothy is much more than a competition skier. He is filming for elite ski movie production like Legs of Steel and is a guest writer for various ski magazines around the globe.
He has recently been getting more into rock climbing, with some ice climbing and getting more into ski mountaineering but with a more freeride approach to skiing lines fast.
Besides skiing Sam Smoothy loves surfing, but he mainly has to do this in the chilly waves of the New Zealand winter, since he rarely spends the Southern Hemisphere summers in his hometown Wanaka. Instead, he is chasing the powder all around the world and preferably in the European Alps, where he has adopted Verbier as a second hometown. No wonder Sam Smoothy has developed an outstanding skiing style that fully lives up to his last name.
- Date de naissance
- Montagne locale
- Treble Cone New Zealand and Verbier Switzerland
- Experience teaches only the teachable.
- surfing, mountain biking, rock climbing, reading
- Site web
Filming with major film company Teton Gravity Research and producing own films from foreign locations in North Korea and Vanuatu
1st Freeride World Tour, Andorra (2015)
4th Freeride World Tour, Alaska (2015)
2nd overall Freeride World Tour (2014)
1st overall Freeride World Tour, Austria (2014)
1st - Chamonix Freeride World Tour (2012)
2nd - Courmayeur Freeride World Tour (2012)
3rd - Roldal Freeride World Tour (2012)
- 1. Fixation Marker préférée
- King Pin
- 2. Pourquoi?
- As much as I love the Jester Pro for its strength and hold, the favourite binding is the Kingpin, it has fully changed touring for me and while light its strength has me stunned, never thought I would have so much confidence in a pin binding, unreal performance
- 3. Pourquoi aimes-tu faire partie du team Marker?
- Best bindings on the market and the best looking team manager in the industry.
- 4. Depuis quand rides-tu avec Marker?
- Since 2009
- 5. À quelle âge as-tu commencé à skier?
- since I was 2
- 6. Ta plus grande réussite dans ta carrière de skieur?
- I think winning the Andorra stop of the Freeride World Tour is my break through moment, it really got my name out there and helped a lot with getting me on the Teton Gravity Research film crew.
- 7. Ton spot préférer pour rider?
- Alaska. But I love my home resorts too, 30 years and still not bored woooo!!!
- 8. Quel est ton meilleur trip de ski?
- I think the first season I spent in Alaska is my best ski trip, it actually changed my life, and now I know where I want to be every northern spring every year.
- 9. Quelle est la destination ski que tu n'as pas encore faite où tu aimerais aller?
- Antarctica! The mysterious southern continent is just so wild I'd love to spend a few months down there freezing my toes off.
- 10. Quel était ton idole quand tu as grandi?
- Shane McConkey
- 11. Que fais-tu quand tu n'es pas sur les skis?
- I try surf as much as I can, that’s my big new passion but because of skiing often means lots of cold water sessions yeow!!
- 12. Comment t'entraînes-tu pour rester en forme?
- I work closely with a trainer in the gym and also use other sports like mountain biking for fitness and general strength.
- 13. Qu'est-ce qui est impératif pour toi?
- Skiing. Surfing. Food. Everything else is secondary by a long way.
- 14. Quelles sont les trois choses que l'on doit connaître sur toi?
- I once had a super sweet undercut bowl cut hairdo. Im terrified of snakes and of ever using three examples to explain things.
- 15. Ta devise?
- Experience teaches only the teachable.
- 16. Quelle a été ta plus grande leçon d'humilité?
- Tomahawking down the Bec de Rosses and losing a World Title was pretty humbling and ego destroying.
- 17. Ton réseau social préféré?
- Kookslams on instagram
- 18. Tes objectifs, plans et ambitions pour l'avenir?
- Win best line at the Powder Awards, opening or closing section with Teton Gravity Research.
- 19. Comment as-tu commencé à faire des sorties de ski de randonnée?
- My parents first took me ski touring in the high alpine of NZ when I was…14 maybe, on spalding skis with the vintage 1970s marker touring binding
- 20. Quels sont tes sorties de randonnées préférés?
- I still really loving touring at home, we have many hidden gems in our Alps, but you just got to work harder to get it than most places
- 21. Qu'as-tu dans ton sac à dos quand tu pars en rando?
- scroggin trail mix for snacking, avalanche gear, bulk water, a fresh base layer and puffer to keep my toasty later.