Sam Smoothy is from New Zealand and is already one of the biggest names in the Freeride circuit. He has been competing on the Freeride World Tour since 2011 and has claimed many podium spots since then including two victories in Chamonix 2012 and Fieberbrunn 2014, finishing fourth overall on the FWT 2012 and runner-up in 2014 and 3rd at Andorra in 2015. But Sam Smoothy is much more than a competition skier. He is filming for elite ski movie production like Legs of Steel and is a guest writer for various ski magazines around the globe.
He has recently been getting more into rock climbing, with some ice climbing and getting more into ski mountaineering but with a more freeride approach to skiing lines fast.
Besides skiing Sam Smoothy loves surfing, but he mainly has to do this in the chilly waves of the New Zealand winter, since he rarely spends the Southern Hemisphere summers in his hometown Wanaka. Instead, he is chasing the powder all around the world and preferably in the European Alps, where he has adopted Verbier as a second hometown. No wonder Sam Smoothy has developed an outstanding skiing style that fully lives up to his last name.
- Fecha de nacimiento
- Lugar habitual de esquí
- Treble Cone New Zealand and Verbier Switzerland
- Experience teaches only the teachable.
- surfing, mountain biking, rock climbing, reading
Filming with major film company Teton Gravity Research and producing own films from foreign locations in North Korea and Vanuatu
1st Freeride World Tour, Andorra (2015)
4th Freeride World Tour, Alaska (2015)
2nd overall Freeride World Tour (2014)
1st overall Freeride World Tour, Austria (2014)
1st - Chamonix Freeride World Tour (2012)
2nd - Courmayeur Freeride World Tour (2012)
3rd - Roldal Freeride World Tour (2012)
- 1. Fijación Marker favorita
- King Pin
- 2. ¿Por qué?
- As much as I love the Jester Pro for its strength and hold, the favourite binding is the Kingpin, it has fully changed touring for me and while light its strength has me stunned, never thought I would have so much confidence in a pin binding, unreal performance
- 3. ¿Por qué te gustaría formar parte del equipo de Marker?
- Best bindings on the market and the best looking team manager in the industry.
- 4. ¿Hace cuanto tiempo que esquías con Marker?
- Since 2009
- 5. ¿A qué edad empezaste a esquiar?
- since I was 2
- 6. El mayor logro en tu carrera de esquí
- I think winning the Andorra stop of the Freeride World Tour is my break through moment, it really got my name out there and helped a lot with getting me on the Teton Gravity Research film crew.
- 7. Lugar favorito para esquiar
- Alaska. But I love my home resorts too, 30 years and still not bored woooo!!!
- 8. Tu viaje de esquí favorito
- I think the first season I spent in Alaska is my best ski trip, it actually changed my life, and now I know where I want to be every northern spring every year.
- 9. ¿A donde te gustaría ir a esquiar y todavía no has estado?
- Antarctica! The mysterious southern continent is just so wild I'd love to spend a few months down there freezing my toes off.
- 10. Ídolo de esquí
- Shane McConkey
- 11. ¿Qué haces cuando no estas esquiando?
- I try surf as much as I can, that’s my big new passion but because of skiing often means lots of cold water sessions yeow!!
- 12. ¿Cómo entrenas para mantenerte en forma para esquiar?
- I work closely with a trainer in the gym and also use other sports like mountain biking for fitness and general strength.
- 13. ¿Sin qué cosas no puedes vivir?
- Skiing. Surfing. Food. Everything else is secondary by a long way.
- 14. ¿Qué 3 cosas tenemos que saber sobre ti?
- I once had a super sweet undercut bowl cut hairdo. Im terrified of snakes and of ever using three examples to explain things.
- 15. ¿Cual el tu lema de vida?
- Experience teaches only the teachable.
- 16. ¿Cuál ha sido tu momento más humillante?
- Tomahawking down the Bec de Rosses and losing a World Title was pretty humbling and ego destroying.
- 17. Red social favorita
- Kookslams on instagram
- 18. Objetivos futuros, planes y ambiciones
- Win best line at the Powder Awards, opening or closing section with Teton Gravity Research.
- 19. ¿Cómo comenzaste en el esquí touring?
- My parents first took me ski touring in the high alpine of NZ when I was…14 maybe, on spalding skis with the vintage 1970s marker touring binding
- 20. ¿Cuál es tu ruta de travesía favorita?
- I still really loving touring at home, we have many hidden gems in our Alps, but you just got to work harder to get it than most places
- 21. ¿Qué llevas en la mochila cuando sales a hacer travesía?
- scroggin trail mix for snacking, avalanche gear, bulk water, a fresh base layer and puffer to keep my toasty later.