It seems as if Norway breeds freestyle talent, whether they are on one or two planks. Øystein Bråten decided on the path of two planks early on, while his brother went for snowboarding. Together they shredded homemade setups in their garden, and this dedication most definitely paid off, as both are professional athletes in their chosen field. Growing up in the small village of Torpo, between the famous ski areas Hemsedal and Geilo, Øystein quickly found his way into the Norwegian freeski scene and his ascent to the top began. In 2010 and 2011 he became Norwegian champion in Slopestyle and this year he won the X Games Gold in Aspen and X Games GOLD in Noway. At just 22 years old, he is considered one of the biggest talents in the international freeski scene.
- Date of birth
- Home mountain
- Ski or die
- Freeski slopestyle and Big Air
- Skateboard, Tennis, Travelling, Ping Pong
Olympic GOLD medalist PyeongChang 2018 Slopestyle
2018 XGames Silver Medalist Aspen
2017 X Games Gold Aspen Slopestyle
2017 X Games Gold Norway
2016 X Games Bronze Medalist Aspen
2017/2018 1st World Cup Slopestyle Stubai AUT
3rd World Cup Slopestyle Snowmass USA
3rd World Cup Slopetyle Font-Romeu FR
3rd World Cup Big Air Monchengladbach GER
- 1. Favorite Marker Binding
- Jester 16
- 2. Why?
- Solid binding that I never have any problems with which is super important.
- 3. Why do you like being a part of the Marker team?
- I’m happy to be on the Marker team because having a good binding is important, and they look cool.
- 4. How long have you been riding for Marker?
- 8 years
- 5. What age did you start skiing?
- My whole life, but I got started riding twin tips when I was 10.
- 6. Biggest breakthrough in your ski career
- For me it was when I got 3rd at Austrian Open in 2012. That was the first big result I got and I was super happy.
- 7. Favorite Place to ride
- Breckenridge (Colorado), Folgefonna (Norway), and Andreas Håtveit’s backyard.
- 8. Your Best Ski Trip you have done
- Alyeska in Alaska this winter.
- 9. Ski destination where you haven’t been and would like to go?
- Japan to ride powder
- 10. Ski Hero/Role Model Growing up
- Andreas Håtveit
- 11. What do you do when you are not skiing?
- When I’m not skiing I like to hang out with my friends and girlfriend. I also skateboard and play tennis in the summer.
- 12. How do you train to keep in shape for skiing?
- Ski as much as I can and stay active in the offseason. I think you get in shape for skiing by skiing a lot, so that has kind of been my way to do it. But I also like to go in the gym in the summer.
- 13. What can’t you live without
- Family and skiing
- 14. Motto/Words you live by
- Ski or die
- 15. Most Humbling moment
- Placing 10th at 2014 Winter Olympics in Slopestyle
- 16. Favorite Social Media Channel
- Instagram or Youtube
- 17. Future Goals and Plans and Ambitions
- Try to always get better at skiing